Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Shed Metamorphosis

I'm always too impatient to wait until the end of a post to see the final product so I'm serving it up first in this post. This is my family project potting shed. It's not quite done, but unless one looks with a magnifying glass, you'll likely not detect it.  The best feature is the glass ceiling/roof.


This, sadly, is what we started with. It was one of those occasions when you finally succumb to the notion that your children are growing up and no longer play on the play set. To help ease the brokenheartedness, we decided to recycle as many parts as we could into something that we could continue to use.


My son helping us disassemble it. It feels like the potting shed project has taken about as long as this post (html and upload issues I can't even force myself to discuss) because my son has grown sooooo much even since this picture was taken in the early spring of 2010.


Construction lasted well into the summer and fall



The old door found for $5 at a second-hand store before I painted it granny smith apple green - - the color selected by my 11-year old daughter.





Indeed it was a family project and these girls love to use power tools.



One more glance at the play set we started with (only because every time I try to delete this stinkin photo I get html errors I can't fix!)


.






And finally, shots of it in its glory in the spring garden 2011




One of the highlights of this garden shed is almost every item used to construct it and decorate it was recycled, including the cedar shake shingles that a neighbor had been storing for decades for "just the right project."
. . . and the winter garden.
Another winter shot of the full moon casting shadows on the snow but the bonus is you can see the glass roof and how the shed glows at night.  I keep a small strand of grapevine wreath lights on inside.  A post on the interior is in the making.





And another night-time image.  Pretend it's not blurry.


A peek inside.

Joining Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays Party
Photobucket
and Sugar and Dots What I Whipped Up Wednesday Party



and "Show off your Cottage Monday" at the House in the Roses








and "Metamorphosis Monday" at Between Naps on the Porch





28 comments:

  1. Hi Angela! Aren't you the smartest one to use the little play house for your potting shed! It's adorable! It's like a greenhouse with the glass roof! I love the colors you've painted it too. The night snaps are just beautiful!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your spring garden and shed looks fabulous. Great job everyone!
    Hugs,
    ~*~Wendy~*~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, this is a fantastic re-do!..I love it, I soooo wanting me a potting shed/chicken coop!..wish I had a play set to jump start!
    Love this so much!
    I'm visiting from WOW us Wed.(new follower)I'm just staying in the kitchen entirely to much.
    ~JO
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's adorable! What a vista you've created and how cool is it that you incorporated 'memories' from your children's younger days in order to do it! I'm your newest follower; I found you via Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I too shared my gardening shed project at Kim's party, come on over and take a look. Yours is perfect...the kind I wish I had, but such is life. You have to make do with what you have. I loved that you landscaped around from the get go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you wowed me this Wednesday! This is adorable. I love to recycle and you did a great job. Can't wait to see the inside. Now following.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooooooo adorable! Love, love, love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new cottage shed! Makes me wish I had one. How nice that your family got in on the work.
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Absolutely gorgeous. . I really want one just like it. . .Thanks for sharing your loveliness. Karie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, this is the most charming little cottage! And the best is that it used to be your kids' playset, so you have great memories whenever you look at it. Can't wait to see the inside. LOVE the apple green door!
    Best,
    Gloria
    P.S. I forgot to say: the picture of it in the night-time is enchanting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Big wow! What an inventive idea! It's also adorable! Love the green door! I want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in love with this adorable shed. The nighttime shot with the light coming through...sooooo sweet. love, love love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Angela, just adorable....it makes me smile.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adorable shed. We built the children a playhouse in our backyard. Always enjoyed looking out at it. Miss it!
    Dropping by from Met Monday.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, I want it. I love your shed and garden. I told my hubby that I want us to do a little raised bed garden next year and he knows I want a green house. We have saved all our old windows to build one out of. I sure wish he would start it. Thanks so much for joining WUW.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gracious, I love it! The winter shot is beautiful.
    Jeanni

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! I love how you repurposed the old parts. We had a playhouse at our old house. When the kids were too old to use it, I turned it into my 'cottage', added windows and window boxes and got so much pleasure out of looking at it. :)

    I'm visiting from Met Monday and am now following. Have a great week.

    Pam
    Our Adventures in Home Improvement

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is an amazing redo! What a great way to reuse something that your children loved. I hope one day I can create something half as nice!

    I'm a new follower. Hope you follow me too! http://lovelybeasts.blogspot.com

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow...I'm speechless, the coolest reno ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the door color! One of my favorite colors! The shed is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. that is sooo awesome! i love the colors- the door is my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OOO, I WANT THIS ! ok, it's wrong to covet so...
    I STILL WANT THIS.!!
    I would love to have one like this....

    Oooooo, Mr. Sweeeeeet.....

    ReplyDelete
  23. So adorable and love that you re-used and re-cycled parts... that door is just da bomb!!

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your shed in a big way :) I also love your blog so I regifted you a blog award that I received. Please view this link and grab your award :)

    http://northwesttexas.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-very-first-blog-award.html

    Hugs, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your potting shed is awesome! So beautiful! Love, love it. Thanks for following me. I'm following you right back!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my, that is truly amazing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy all fussy comments.